Saturday, April 23, 2011

Please tell me May is coming

April 23rd and it is spitting snow again. Who would have thought that yesterday was Earth Day and I spent part of it running around the north-country with my friend Sherri. She put the top down on her antique VW Rabbit and we soaked up the vitamin D (and also got 40 mpg).

When I got home I brought more wood in for the wood stove. Yes at the end of April! The wind has kicked in today and has made this dampness reach out and grab my inner bones. The little fire should take the chill off.

At this point in time the majority of the snow has melted. The exceptions are those usual nooks and crannies that never get out of the shade. We are sure doing the “sunshine dance” for next week. I need the soil to warm up quite a bit before I can really work in it.

Do you think putting some black tarps down will speed up the process?

The seedlings I began are doing their thing. I look each day with anticipation knowing that once they poke their heads, that some heftier work is around the corner. The single bulb grow lights that I have are just not cutting it. I did splurge on some grow lamps with stands (two 4 footers), which should arrive on Monday. The enclosed south-facing porch is still too cold on its own at night for these poor babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment