Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Warm Up


I have to yell to the mountain tops that I love my husband. He shares my passion for gardening and getting dirty. He spent two days getting the 18 garden beds that were in the "lasagna" areas prepared for the spring. Then he put a black poly down on three of the beds along with hoops that will be covered with a clear greenhouse poly to create mini hoop tunnels to get a jump on our warmer weather crops growing season. This week saw the planting of peas, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, early bunching onions and cauliflower

For those of you not familiar with lasagna gardening or new to my blog, it is the best organic way to grow. I use no additional nutrients for my soil with the exception of an occasional boost for those crops needing it during setting fruit. It is super easy and garners no special tools. I rotate the walkways and planting beds each year. In the walkways being used that year, I continually add layers of brown and green. Layer 1 should be corrugated cardboard or newspaper. Layer 2 should be organic "browns" - ex: fall leaves, shredded newspaper, peat, and pine needles. Layer 3 should be organic "greens" - ex vegetables scraps, garden trimmings, and grass clippings (we do not treat our lawns). Layer 4 should be "browns". Layer 5 should be "greens". Final layer should be compost or manure.

Trust me when I say that when you plant in that walkway next year, it is like planting in black gold. It is the best garden dirt you will ever work with. It is full of nutrients that are just waiting to hold the roots of your tender seedlings and see them all the way through the harvesting of their fruit.

So go grab a piece of dirt and some sun screen. Have fun!

2 comments: