Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blueberries, Beans and Hail OH MY!

What an incredible week! We’ve had very high temperatures and the late tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen. When it hasn’t been hot and humid, it’s been torrential thunderstorms.




We had a hail storm with very heavy winds come thru the other day that cause some severe damage in our area. We only lost a large limb off of our maple tree. But the remaining peas were blown over and the hail did considerable damage to the leaves of many of the plants.




I picked 3 gallons of green beans to put up. I will freeze some, can some with red sauce, and also make some “dilly beans”. We still have plenty of beans coming. And the late sowing of the red ones is proving successful. The plants are full of blossoms. One of those summer pop up late day thunderstorms interrupted the cleaning efforts. We completed those today.


Today we also planted 6 blueberry bushes and 4 rows of very hardy raspberries, which I call the 'Aunt Angela' variety. They were shoots from the raspberry patch at our family cottage in Maine. They make it through those winters and just keep coming back stronger than ever. I’m hoping for the same results. I had Joe digging holes and mixing compost/humus all afternoon. This is also in an area that gets full sun from morning to evening. It is protected on the north side by a fence and flower bed from any heavy winds and snow. Wow! I can't believe it was 86 degrees today and I'm thinking of snow already!


We should have known another storm was headed in when we saw this cardinal on the post in the garden. LOL. It is coming down so hard I don’t think I have to worry about watering the newly planted stock.


Tomorrow I will tackle the remaining peas. What do you think I should plant there for a fall sowing? Hmmmm Maybe some swiss chard.





No comments:

Post a Comment