Saturday, July 16, 2011

No More Critters !


I can say with certainty that we have seen the last of the little critters in our garden. Joe has worked diligently in planning, designing and installing an electric fence around the garden. He planned it for quite a bit larger than the current garden just in case I want to enlarge my growing potential in the future. This also leaves room for use to mow, turn the rototiller, or maybe add a bed of raspberries.


Although he made a beautiful gate, he left a 12 foot wide portion which unhooks by special handles on the wires if we ever have the need to get large equipment in there.

The best part about the fence is that keeps my "green" theme going. It is totally solar powered. The battery can store up to 15 days worth of power.



I found these in a friend's garden and just had to order them for mine. They are called "Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine" a type of variegated sunflower. They make a huge statement in a real sunny place and also the perfect cut flower. They bloom all summer too! I love the variegated leaves.




Many of the vege blossoms are now fruiting out and our excitement is mounting. Even though our garden was planted late to most standards in the north country, we are anticipating a huge bounty.

One thing we did not plan for in this area was a huge mound of ants. It is not in the vege garden area. I helped our daughter get rid of her fire ants in North Carolina with a mixture of dry instant grits and white sugar (50/50 mix). Stir it together and sprinkle on affected area. The ants eat it and implode. I'm hoping that it works for us. And yes, I'm still dealing with the squash bugs on a daily basis. But it looks like I'm winning the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment